Leidos, Inc., as part of an Illinois Department of Commerce & Economic Opportunity Office of Energy & Recycling grant initiative, is formulating a Residential and Commercial Building Energy Code Enhancement Program to directly address barriers to compliance and verification with the 2015 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC) with Illinois-specific amendments.
The effort is funded by the energy efficiency programs at ComEd, Ameren Illinois, Nicor Gas, Peoples Gas, and North Shore Gas and is a statewide effort to coordinate activities across all service territories. These programs are funded by utility customers in compliance with Illinois law.
Program Development Tasks:
Task 1 – Perform market barrier and strategy study
Task 2 – Create a program website and coordinate activities with ongoing DCEO code training and technical support efforts
Task 3 – Establish an Illinois Energy Code Compliance Collaborative
Task 4 – Draft plan including potential energy savings, cost estimates and delivery mechanics for an energy code compliance enhancement program
Leidos, Inc. has engaged the following organizations to assist with program task development.
Responsibilities of an energy codes compliance collaborative:
- Advise on a “common practices” document related to interpretation and verification;
- Serve as a reliable source of information on energy code compliance;
- Develop strategies to increase compliance rates, including education, training, and outreach;
- Assist with securing stable sources of funding dedicated to the improvement of energy code compliance;
- Ensure that municipalities, builders, designers, lenders, appraisers, consumers, policymakers, and other stakeholders have the knowledge and tools they need to evaluate and assign value to building energy efficiency and energy code compliance;
- Multiple stakeholders are asked to participate because “a rising tide lifts all boats”. Progress in any jurisdiction and in any segment of the building industry will have a ripple effect that will benefit others. We will all likely achieve industry goals more effectively and quickly by working together.